Key Moments

  • 1947: Donald Carmony organized a library for the University Center at Central High School; enrollment reached 1,000 students.

English extension class at Central High School, 1955-56 school year

English instructor Dr. Seymour Gross teaches an Indiana University extension class at South Bend's Central High School during the 1955-56 school year.

  • 1955: The site for a permanent campus was acquired on land along the St. Joseph River through purchases by the Committee of One Hundred and donations by the city of South Bend. 

  • 1961: The first university building opened on campus. Known at the time as the Indiana University Center and later renamed the South Bend-Mishawaka Center, the building is still a part of campus and is now known as Northside Hall.

Northside Hall faculty lounge, 1961 or 1962

The Northside Hall faculty lounge in 1961 or 1962. Pictured are Robert N. Robinson (business and accounting), Frank Claeys (business and accounting), Herbert Rissler (history) and Jacob Sudermann (foreign languages and continuing education).